Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Beautiful, Beautiful Music

What noise could be more joyful than music?  What food does for the body, music does for the soul.  It gives us energy, sustains us through hardship, and affects the way we think and feel.  It can even save your life--it has mine.  Music has been around since before speech, and transcends time, culture, and language.  Some of my favorite songs are hundreds of years old and in languages I don't understand.

Like with food,  there are differences in taste.  Some people enjoy classical, some country, others hard rock.  Some people aren't picky and like a little of everything.  It doesn't make one genre better than another any more than it makes Thai food better than Italian; it's all a matter of opinion.  But, I really think there is some music that in the long term is ultimately toxic.  Like Oreos or fried chicken, these songs may feel good for now, but too much will make you sick.  I'm not singling out any particular style, because honestly, I've heard them in all genres.  There are songs out there that celebrate hatred, ignorance, and violence.  Not what I'd call a joyful noise.  Find the music that makes you feel whole and happy, whatever it may be.

Here are a few songs that really make me feel like I can do anything, be anyone, and have fun, all while keeping in mind what's really important.


Alicia Keys - Superwoman


I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas (I love this video, totally amazing!)


Lee Brice - Love Like Crazy


Jewel - Hands
Sorry, no embedding for this one, so you'll just have to click and go to YouTube for it. :) 


So now I want to know how music has touched your life.  What touches your heart, inspires you to greatness, makes you want to dance, or just puts you in a great mood?

No comments:

Post a Comment